My inbox keeps growing and I feel I spend too much time on emails these days. Any suggestions on how to spend less time on it?
I've been reading good ideas on time management from the website Asian Efficiency. Because this seems to be a common problem (email overflow), my next few tips will focus on this topic. A recent blog One Simple Trick to Reduce Email Overload suggests a simple premise to start with.
They call it the Email Boomerang Effect.
- Most emails do not have to be sent at all.
- Email is not always the best medium.
- Send fewer emails, get fewer emails.
Before you send any email, ask yourself these two questions:
- Is this email ABSOLUTELY necessary? (Most are not.)
- Is email the best medium? (Would a text or quick phone call be better?)
If you answer YES to both questions, send it out.TIP:
Debating or unsure how to answer? Spend a few minutes reading the article
. It gives ideas and scenarios that I found helpful.