What kind of photo should I use for articles in magazines, speaking, brochures and online? Head shot, action shot, group shot?
You left out graduation photo! Today we have so many options with digital cameras and electronic sending of photos that we are often do-it yourselfers with our headshot. I recall one professional had a picture of himself in ski gear and sunglasses on his LinkedIn page. How on earth would anyone know what he looked like?!
Here are a few suggestions regarding your photo:
- Get a pro to take some shots of you.
- Get a variety ... and formal to casual.
- Ask a group of trusted people to vote on the one they like best.
- Send 5 or 6 photos when submitting things to the media and let them pick what works for them.
- And update every 2-3 years. We do age and so does our clothing.
Cropping is an art form. Crop tight, even losing some of the body, head, arms, etc. Close is in!