The basic unit of collaboration within this website is the "group." A group is any collection of member with a common interest. Groups can be geographic chapters, communities of practice (e.g., formed around industries, technical disciplines, stage of a consulting firm development), internal IMC communities and committees, and special collaboration foci such as members recommending services or products for consultants (in Members Recommend . .).
All groups require site registration (free and consists of a name and email address only) for access. Some groups are open to all (requests to join automatically approved), membership in others subject to approval (e.g., some committees), and for a few membership is limited to certain member types (e.g., CMC Network) or elected or appointed IMC members (e.g., Board of Directors, chapter presidents).
Accessible through the Chapters and Communities menu item, members may:
- Browse available groups
- Select groups you would like to join
- Access group homepages
- Browse group member profiles
- Request access to private groups
- Apply to become a group administrator
- View private group content, wikis and file libraries
- View, post, tag and subscribe to group blogs
- View, post and tag photos in group galleries
- Register for group-specific events
- Send messages to group members
Groups, particularly Communities of Practice, are only as valuable as the activity of their members. Members are encouraged to actively participate and contribute to the growth and development of groups. Inactive groups will be removed by the site administrator and suggestions for new groups accepted depending on interest.
To propose a new Community of Practice, use our suggestion form