Consulting follows the business cycle by about six months and interesting trends for the professions have emerged over the past few months. Topics consultants need to address this year include: reemergence of strategy work, increased emphasis on EVM in our engagements, increasing client preference for small firms if they bring the right approach and client trends in developing internal consulting practices.
IMC NCR CONSULTANT ROUNDTABLE
(and book swap)
In the best traditions of IMC, instead of hearing from one speaker, we are committed to sharing our best intelligence on markets and practice management by our experienced members and guests. We will provide a facilitator at each table to assure that we cover topics fully, stay on topic, allow all participants to contribute, and capture key ideas to share with other tables.
The Consultant Roundtable is by and for the members of the IMC NCR consulting community. Attendance is open to all interested consultants including Certified Management Consultants, IMC USA Professional Members, and Guests. Our objectives are to:
- Promote peer-to-peer interaction
- Get to know your consulting colleagues better
- Let you test your ideas about your consulting markets or practice
- Learn from your peers about new business trends or opportunities
Topics: A list of suggested topics is below. However, each breakout group will select an independent topic. In general, the topics will address one of the following three areas:
- Expand your consulting skills and value to clients (Get Smart)
- Extend your visibility and market presence (Get Known)
- Improve your practice and engagement management (Get Business)
Each of us has a number of books about consulting, management or business that we have read but probably will never read again. Bring one or more of those to the May 13 program to trade with another attendee. These include those books that arrived from Amazon you forgot you ordered, classics that you have two copies of and that book you read but no longer use because your consulting practice has moved on. The last time we did this we had a great time and lots of people got new ideas and insights from (free) books.
Before topic selection and breakout, Richard Ziegler, NCR Chapter President, will brief participants on two topics presented at the IMC Chapter Presidents Council meeting in Chicago on May 6th and 7th. These include:
- The Future of Consulting by Tom Rodenhauser , Vice President, Kennedy Information, Editor, Kennedy’s Consultant News, and
- Blue Ocean Strategy Session on Key Consulting Competencies Valued by Clients by Dr. Sarah Layton
Consultant Roundtables are one of the most popular programs offered by IMC Chapters because they are great learning and networking experiences. It is easy to see why consultants build or refine their practices for the year around what they learn and share at a Roundtable.