Orange County Chapter
Turnaround Opportunities to
Grow Your Consulting Practice
By Jim Davidson, Managing Director, Avant Advisory Group
Thursday, November 8, Mimi's Café, Irvine, 7:00 to 9:00 a.m.
.Turnaround situations present opportunities for consultants regardless of their specialty, but turnaround consulting itself is a specialized field, and there are many pitfalls to avoid. Our challenge is not only to secure consulting projects that can add value to the client, but also to get paid and avoid costly litigation and loss of reputation. Just jumping in with a troubled, financially distressed client without clear understanding of the risks, ground rules, expectations, requirements, and safeguards may set you up for disappointment -- or worse.
Join us at our November 12 IMC Orange County Breakfast as Jim Davidson, a turnaround consultant since the 1980's, teaches us what consultants need to know about turnaround situations. He will be joined by Marty McDermut, CPA, CFS, CM&AA, who has helped him in working with many companies through workouts, restructurings, turnarounds, and/or bankruptcy reorganizations.
Topics covered will include:
- When is your client in “the zone of insolvency,” and what are the risks and concerns?
- What is meant by the terms turnaround, workout, restructuring, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, liquidation, 363, and ABC.
- What triggers the need for a turnaround consultant or restructuring advisor.
- The consulting specialties that are involved in a successful turnaround.
- How to ensure you will get paid promptly for your work.
- How to minimize your exposure to risk, litigation and a destroyed reputation.
- The special complexities of turnarounds in 2009 and 2010.
- The critical elements or requirements of a successful turnaround.
- The key issues on which turnaround specialist must focus.
- Some best practices and techniques for guiding companies through crisis.
- And a lot more...
This will not only be a great learning experience, but also an opportunity for you to network with consultants and other self-employed professionals in the Greater Orange County area. Bring your questions about turnarounds.
About Jim Davidson, Managing Director, Avant Advisory Group
Jim Davidson is a managing director of Avant Advisory Group. He is a Certified Turnaround Professional, CPA/CFF, CFE, CM&AA, and is a Certified Corporate Director. Since the early 1980's, he has been involved with hundreds of distressed and crisis situations, turnarounds, restructurings, and profitability improvement for troubled companies to a multi-billion dollar sales level. He is a member of the Turnaround Management Association, American Bankruptcy Institute, and Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors. In addition to his years of consulting, Jim has served in executive positions at public and private companies in both high growth and turnaround situations. He has taught graduate and undergraduate courses in business and management. He holds a BA degree and an MBA from the University of California at Irvine.
Low Pricing, Good Location, Easy Parking: Mimi's Café in Irvine!
Mimi's Café is located at 4030 Barranca Pkwy, Irvine, CA 92604, at the southwest corner of Culver & Barranca, 1-1/2 miles north on Culver from I-405. Driving north on Culver, turn right on Barranca, then into Mimi's free parking lot. You will love our private meeting room with big windows. Pricing has been reduced to $15 for non-members.
- Place: Mimi's Cafe, 4030 Barranca Pkwy, Irvine, CA 92604
- Date: Thursday, November 12, 2009 (2nd Thursday of the month)
- Time: 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
- Cost: $10 for IMC members, $15 for non-members. This includes any choice from the IMC hot breakfast menu, tax and tip included.
- RSVP: Via email to Weiss@imcsoca.org.
About IMC OC
is a Southern California Chapter of the Institute of Management Consultants
(IMC USA), the national accrediting organization for management consultants. In addition to providing a wide range of benefits to management consultants, IMC awards the prestigious CMC
(Certified Management Consultant) certification mark.