Hear from IMC Members: Click Here to Watch Videos
IMC USA maintains eight (8) classes of membership, each of which is designed to address the unique needs of our consultant members. Individuals may only join as Professional, Young Professional, Student or Affiliate Members. Election to Certified, Emeritus or Retired Professional Member is based on credentials and experience. Compare Benefits of IMC Member Categories
A Professional Member is a practicing management consultant, or a potential management consultant, who agrees to subscribe to the IMC Code of Ethics and who may choose to work towards the Institute's professional qualification of CMC. The applicant must provide evidence of AT LEAST ONE of the criteria listed below:
- Minimum of one years experience as a management consultant.
- At least five-years experience in management.
- At least five years experience in a technical or professional specialty.
- Masters Degree in Business or related field (e.g., MBA ).
- Currently working as a consultant within an IMC Accredited Practice.
Professional members are voting members and receive the full benefits of the Institute. Professional Member annual dues are $325 (can be prorated) plus a $50 application fee. Click here for a printable Professional Member Brochure.
A Young Professional Member is an entry-level membership category for potential management consultants or early stage practicing consultants who are unable to meet the criteria for Professional Member category. Young Professional applicants must:
- Be 29 years of age or younger
- Agree to subscribe to the IMC Code of Ethics
Young Professional members are voting members and receive the full benefits of the Institute. Young Professional Member annual dues are $195 (can be prorated) plus a $50 application fee. Click here for a printable Young Professional Member Brochure.
A Student Member a full-time college or university student who has an interest in management consulting and supports the objectives of the Institute.
The special Student Member rate is for those actively studying at an Accredited University or College, who may become management consultants, and who agree to abide by the IMC USA Code of Ethics. Student Affiliates may continue at the student rate as long as they continue to be a student in good standing or 12 months immediately subsequent to graduation, and not actively pursuing consulting clients.
Student Members are NOT voting members and may not receive the full benefits of the Institute. Student Member annual dues are $95 (no application fee) and renew a full 12 month after membership, unlike other memberships that expire at the end of the calendar year.
An Affiliate Member is a professional who has an interest in serving or providing services to the management consulting profession and supports the mission of the Institute.
This category of membership is for those who are not practicing management consultants, or who have not yet reached the criteria for Professional Membership but wish to provide services or sell services or products to consultants. Affiliates may include users of management consulting services, academics, technology providers, other professional service providers, journalists, and professional managers. Affiliate members must abide by the IMC USA Code of Ethics.
Affiliate members are NOT voting members and may not receive the full benefits of the Institute. Affiliate Member annual dues are $495 (plus a $50 application fee).
A Certified Member is a CMC® who is in good standing and has demonstrated competence and understanding in a range of consulting situations against an agreed standard and has agreed to abide by the IMC USA Code of Ethics.
The CMC® designation is awarded through an assessment process which requires you to present evidence of your competence in management consulting processes and your area of technical specialization against the Institute's Competency Framework. CMC®'s are also tested for their understanding of the IMC Code of Ethics. CMC® candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Document 3 years experience in the full time practice of management consulting, with major responsibility for client engagements during at least one of those years.
- Possess a Bachelors degree from an Accredited College or University.
- Provide multiple references, most of them from officers or executives of clients served
- Provide written summaries of client engagements
- Pass a qualifying interview by other CMC.s
- IMC Professional Member in good standing for at least one year preceding application for CMC. designation.
Certified members are voting members and receive the full benefits of the Institute. Their current annual fees are $395 (can be prorated) plus application fees. Triennial certification renewal is required. Click here for more information on the CMC® renewal process. Click here for a printable Certified Member Brochure.
The CMC® Emeritus candidate must currently be a CMC in good standing and consulting
less than 25% of the time, exclusive of pro bono work.
- The CMC® will be 66 years of age or older.
- The CMC® will have been a member of IMC USA for at least 10 years.
- The CMC® will achieve a minimum of 90 points when calculating age + years of membership, with the following options for bonus points: 5 points if the CMC is an FIMC, 3 points per year as IMC USA Chair or Treasurer, 2 points per year as IMC USA Conference Chair, 1.5 points per year as IMC USA Board Member, 1 point per year as Chapter President, 1 point per year as CMC, and 1 point per year of IMC Membership.
Current CMC® Emeritus' annual CMC® fees are $150. They are voting members, receive full benefits of the Institute, and triennial certification renewal is not required.
To become a CMC Emeritus please fill out the CMC Emeritus Application to confirm eligibility. Please contact us HERE if you have any questions.
The Retired Professional Member
category offers management consultants who are current members in good standing, completely retired and no longer employed in (work for hire) consulting to continue to belong to IMC USA. It offers the Retired Member the chance to continue to make a contribution to the community, the national organization and/or the profession and continue to represent IMC USA . Retired Members may convert back to full Professional Membership at any time based on a change in their employment status.
Eligibility for Retired Professional membership approval is age plus years membership in IMC, the criteria are:
- 55 years of age or older.
- A member of IMC USA for at least 5 years
- A current a IMC USA member in good standing
Retired Professional member annual dues are 50% of the current professional member dues. The Retired Professional Member are voting members and receive full membership benefits.
An ICMCI Associate Member This category of membership is for non-U.S. International (ICMCI members) consultants who hold a full membership in their "home” Institute (Institute of their country). Individuals are required to provide proof of membership in good standing in their home institute.
ICMCI Associate members are NOT voting members and may not receive the full benefits of the Institute. ICMCI Associate Member dues are $80 (no application fee).