Hear from IMC Members: Click Here to Watch Videos
IMC USA maintains eight (8) classes of membership, each of which is designed to address the unique needs of our consultant members. Individuals may only join as Professional (Young Professionals receive a discount), Student or Affiliate Members. Election to Certified, Emeritus or Retired Professional Member is based on credentials and experience. Compare Benefits of IMC Member Categories
A Professional Member is a practicing management consultant, or a potential management consultant, who agrees to subscribe to the IMC Code of Ethics and who may choose to work towards the Institute's professional qualification of CMC. The applicant must provide evidence of AT LEAST ONE of the criteria listed below:
- Minimum of one years experience as a management consultant.
- At least five-years experience in management.
- At least five years experience in a technical or professional specialty.
- Masters Degree in Business or related field (e.g., MBA ).
- Currently working as a consultant within an IMC Accredited Practice.
Professional members are voting members and receive the full benefits of the Institute. Professional Member annual dues are $325 (pro-rated quarterly) plus a $50 application fee for first time members. Click here for a printable Professional Member Brochure.
Young Professionals receive a discount on their annual Professional membership, providing entry-level access to the Institute. Young Professional applicants must:
- Be 29 years of age or younger
- Agree to subscribe to the IMC Code of Ethics
Young Professional members are voting members and receive the full benefits of the Institute. Young Professional Member annual dues are $195 (pro-rated quarterly) plus a $50 application fee for first time members. Click here for a printable Young Professional Member Brochure.
A Student Member is a full-time college or university student who has an interest in management consulting and supports the objectives of the Institute.
The special Student Member rate is for those actively studying at an Accredited University or College, who may become management consultants, and who agree to abide by the IMC USA Code of Ethics. Student members may continue at the student rate as long as they continue to be a student in good standing and for 12 months immediately subsequent to graduation. Student members do not actively pursue consulting clients.
Student Members are NOT voting members and may not receive the full benefits of the Institute. Student Member annual dues are $95, do NOT have an application fee and renew annually on your initial registration date.
An Affiliate Member is a professional who has an interest in serving or providing services to the management consulting profession and supports the mission of the Institute.
This category of membership is for those who are not practicing management consultants, or who have not yet reached the criteria for Professional Membership but wish to provide services or products to IMCUSA members. Affiliates may include users of management consulting services, academics, technology providers, other professional service providers, journalists, and professional managers. Affiliate members must abide by the IMC USA Code of Ethics.
Affiliate members are NOT voting members and may not receive the full benefits of the Institute. Affiliate Member annual dues are $495 (pro-rated quarterly) plus a $50 application fee for first time applicants.
A Certified Member is a CMC® (Certified Management Consultant currently licensed by IMCUSA) who is in good standing and has agreed to abide by the IMC USA Code of Ethics.
The CMC® designation is awarded through an assessment process which requires you to present evidence of your competence in management consulting processes and your area of technical specialization against the Institute's Competency Framework. CMC®'s are also tested for their understanding of the IMC Code of Ethics. CMC® candidates meet the following criteria:
- Document 3 years experience in the full time practice of management consulting, with major responsibility for client engagements during at least one of those years.
- Possess a Bachelors degree from an Accredited College or University.
- Provide multiple references, most of them from officers or executives of clients served
- Provide written summaries of client engagements
- Pass a qualifying interview by other CMC.s
- IMC Professional Member in good standing for at least one year preceding application for CMC. designation.
Certified members are voting members and receive the full benefits of the Institute. Annual Dues are $395 (prorated quarterly) plus a $50 application fee for first time applicants.
Certified members are evaluated every three years to insure they continue to meet all IMCUSA standards (the "Triennial certification").
Click here for more information on the CMC® renewal process.
Click here for a printable Certified Member Brochure.
The CMC® Emeritus is a membership available to current CMC members and is "by request". CMC® members may request a change to emeritus status if the meet the following criteria:
- The CMC® will be a member in good standing.
- The CMC® will consult less than 25% of the time, exclusive of pro bono work
- The CMC® will be 66 years of age or older.
- The CMC® will have been a member of IMC USA for at least 10 years.
- The CMC® will achieve a minimum of 90 points when calculating age + years of membership, with the following options for bonus points: 5 points if the CMC is an FIMC, 3 points per year as IMC USA Chair or Treasurer, 2 points per year as IMC USA Conference Chair, 1.5 points per year as IMC USA Board Member, 1 point per year as Chapter President, 1 point per year as CMC, and 1 point per year of IMC Membership.
Current CMC® Emeritus' annual CMC® fees are $150 (pro-rated quarterly). They are voting members, receive full benefits of the Institute, and triennial certification renewal is not required.
To become a CMC Emeritus please fill out the CMC Emeritus Application to confirm eligibility. Please contact us HERE if you have any questions.
The Retired Professional membership offers retired members the chance to continue to make a contribution to the community, the national organization and/or the profession and continue to represent IMC USA . Retired Members may convert back to full Professional Membership at any time based on a change in their employment status. Professional Members may request a change to Retired Member status if the meet the following criteria:
- Current IMC USA Professional Members in good standing
- Completely retired and no longer employed in (work for hire) consulting
- 55 years of age or older.
- A member of IMC USA for at least 5 years
Retired Professional member annual dues are $162.50 (50% of the current professional member dues) and are also pro-rated quarterly. Retired Professional members are voting members and receive full membership benefits.
An ICMCI Associate membership is for non-U.S. International IMC (ICMCI) members consultants who hold a full membership in their "home” Institute (Institute of their country). Individuals are required to provide proof of membership in good standing in their home institute.
ICMCI Associate members are NOT voting members and may not receive the full benefits of the Institute. ICMCI Associate Member dues are $80. they do NOT have an application fee and are pro-rated quarterly.
The Certified Non-Member membership is a required by IMC USA bylaws and provides the opportunity for IMC certification as a CMC® without the requirement of membership.
Certified Non-Members are NOT voting members and may not receive the full benefits of the Institute. Dues for maintaining your IMC USA certification as a non-member are $550. There is no application fee and dues are pro-rated quarterly.