President’s Message - January 2014
Raymond W. Suarez, IMC NCR Chapter President
Happy New Year to each and every one of us as IMC NCR members! As we embark upon another new year, with new ideas, insights, aspirations and possibilities, let's pause to look back from where we have come.
2012 and 2013
A small but dedicated group of holdover directors and newly elected officers inherited an IMC NCR in transition in 2012. Thanks to the extraordinary example set by Immediate-Past President Richard Ziegler, and the diligent stewardship of a new volunteer leadership team (Karen Buehler, John Strawhorn, Parag Ambardekar, Leona Charles, Becky Roberts), IMC NCR has grown in size, impact and stature. Our objectives and accomplishments included:
• Improved quality in programs, communications, meeting planning and logistics
• Updated outreach and communications technologies (email, social media, online marketing, etc.)
• Relocation of our meeting venue from D.C. to Northern Virginia
• Formation of an IMCUSA student chapter at Argosy University, DC
• Achieving monthly financial break even and maintaining capital reserves
• Exceeding the 100 member mark for the second time in IMC NCR's history
• Becoming the largest chapter nationally for the first time in IMCUSA history.
Due to the inspired efforts of our leadership team, and the appreciation and support demonstrated by our local members and friends, this past year culminated with the presentation to IMC NCR of the Chapter Recognition Award 2013 at IMC USA's Grow! Conference in October which acknowledged: "your aspirations, ideals, efforts and impact as a collaborative community of professional consultants, and of your contributions to IMC USA and (its) commitment to excellence and ethics in the practice and profession of management consulting".
We thank IMC USA Chairman Loraine Huchler and Executive Director Gail McCauley for your support and recognition.
2014 and 2015
Our goal as a chapter in 2014 begins with continuing to improve and deliver value to members and your businesses in the Metropolitan Washington DC consulting community. Our specific objectives for the next two years include:
• Realization of this first Chapter newsletter (Washington Consultants Quarterly)
• Development and re-launch of an IMC NCR Mentor-Protégé program
• Implementation of a member survey (the most recent coming in 2010)
• Development and delivery of long-form, local, professional development (full-day and/or weekend)
• Focus and broader support for alliances, teaming and partnering among members to expand the scope and scale of our business prospects
• Production of a local IMC NCR Member-Only Directory for distribution to client audiences
• Proactive development of customer awareness, branding, and marketing in client communities.
We are thankful to five members who have signed on to help make these objectives possible by joining the Chapter's Board of Directors for 2014-2015: Michael Gallo, Linda Howard, Akira Oyama, Ed Barks, and Cynthia Miller. We also invite and welcome each and every member to participate in our chapter operations as a director, committee member, or project leader.
We hope that you will join and support us in strengthening and advancing the professional aspirations and business interests of our local independent consulting community by renewing your membership in IMC as soon as possible. The sooner you renew, the greater the value of membership to you, and to our chapter in the form of allocations from IMC USA, which in turn support the programs and operations that support you, your business and your profession.
Let us also take this opportunity to recognize and to thank Michael Cohen, CMC for his past service as an IMC NCR board member, Program Chair and President, and for his incomparable 25 years of continuous membership in IMC NCR.
Here's to a busy and prosperous 2014 for each and every one of us. Thank you!