Certification is one of the main reasons why IMC USA and 46 other management consulting institutes around the world exist. When you join IMC USA, you are strongly encouraged to pursue certification as evidence of your commitment to management consulting as a profession.
The Certified Management Consultant™ (CMC®) mark is awarded by the IMC USA to consultants who have achieved a level of performance that includes professional standards in technical competency and ethics, and global standards in consulting competencies, professional behavior, client and project management, and personal conduct.
Here are some of the requirements for the CMC®:
- Experience: Currently active in consulting: able to demonstrate that in three of the last five years management consulting have been a significant part of his or her activity. This can include consulting with clients; selling, managing and/or supporting consulting activity; preparing for and teaching consultancy; publishing and writing on consulting, technical specialties, client business segments, and related topics.
- Education: A degree from a four-year college (some exceptions).
- References: Five satisfactory client evaluations from officers or executives of client organizations.
- Engagements: Written summaries of engagements, which will used during the oral examination.
- Competence: A qualifying written examination followed by an oral examination with senior CMC® examiners. You must demonstrate your professional competence, that you are current in your areas of specialization, that you have applied your experience and that you have an understanding of the management consulting process define in IMC USA's Competency Framework - CMC® Scheme.
- Ethics: A qualifying written examination and oral examination on the IMC Code of Ethics and ethical aspects of consulting.
IMC USA awards the CMC certificate mark without pre-requisites of membership in any professional association or of completing a particular course of study. All who meet the above requirements may apply. See How to Get Certified for the fees and to start your application.
IMC USA examination of consulting competencies exceeds ICMCI standards and clients are assured that the IMC USA certification process conforms to rigorous international standards for certifying individuals.
In 2015, the IMC USA National CMC Certification Committee compared the Core Competency Framework standards in use by the organization. After careful comparison and examination, the committee recommended that the ICMCI Standards of Competence be adopted by the IMC USA as their standard of competence. On May 5,2015, the IMC USA Board of Directors agreed with this recommendation and adopted the international standard as the organization's standard.
IMC USA is a professional association of like-minded consulting professionals who benefit from world wide networking, professional development activities, education and discounts. IMC USA members participate in the development of the CMC standards, and with other ICMCI CMCs, are core to the development of world wide standards for consultants and management consultancies.
Next: Getting Involved in IMC USA