The Certified Management Consultant (CMC®) mark is awarded by the IMC USA to consultants who have achieved a level of performance that includes professional standards in technical competency and ethics, and global standards in consulting competencies, professional behavior, client and project management, and personal conduct.
Candidates for certification must undergo a thorough investigation of their consulting experience, complete exhaustive written and oral examinations, and meet global standards in consulting competencies, professional behavior, client and project management, and personal conduct. Less than one percent (1%) of all consultants have achieved this level of excellence.
IMC USA Members are strongly encouraged to pursue certification as evidence of their commitment to management consulting as a profession.
Here are some of the requirements for the CMC®:
- Experience: Three years in practice as a full-time consultant, with major management responsibility.
- Education: A degree from a four-year college.
- References: Five satisfactory references from officers or executives of client organizations.
- Engagements: Written summaries and a discussion with a panel of five client assignments.
- Application: Written responses to an engagement case study, and a presentation to a panel.
- Competence: A qualifying written examination and an oral review. You must demonstrate your professional competence, that you are current in your areas of specialization, that you have applied your experience, and that you have an understanding of the management consulting process and a common body of consulting knowledge.
- Ethics: A written examination and oral interview on the IMC Code of Ethics and ethical aspects of consulting.
- There is no requirement for membership in any professional association or to attend any specific course to apply for the CMC®. Your CMC® certification fee is determined by your IMC USA member status; IMC USA awards the CMC® to members and non-members. There are substantial advantages to joining IMC USA: networking, professional training at member rates, discount and Chapter activities.
To learn more about certification, read How to Become Certified.
The CMC® mark is registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.